PROVISIONAL ASSESSMENT UNDER GST
- By Admin /GST /1 year ago /283
(1) Subject to the provisions of sub-section (2), where the taxable person is unable to determine the value of goods or services or both or determine the rate of tax applicable thereto, he may request the proper officer in writing giving reasons for payment of tax on a provisional basis and the proper officer shall pass an order, within a period not later than ninety days from the date of receipt of such request, allowing payment of tax on provisional basis at such rate or on such value as may be specified by him.
(2) The payment of tax on provisional basis may be allowed, if the taxable person executes a bond in such form as may be prescribed, and with such surety or security as the proper officer may deem fit, binding the taxable person for payment of the difference between the amount of tax as may be finally assessed and the amount of tax provisionally assessed.
(3) The proper officer shall, within a period not exceeding six months from the date of the communication of the order issued under sub-section (1), pass the final assessment order after taking into account such information as may be required for finalizing the assessment:
Provided that the period specified in this sub-section may, on sufficient cause being shown and for reasons to be recorded in writing, be extended by the Joint Commissioner or Additional Commissioner for a further period not exceeding six months and by the Commissioner for such further period not exceeding four years.
(4) The registered person shall be liable to pay interest on any tax payable on the supply of goods or services or both under provisional assessment but not paid on the due date specified under sub-section (7) of section 39 or the rules made thereunder, at the rate specified under sub-section (1) of section 50, from the first day after the due date of payment of tax in respect of the said supply of goods or services or both till the date of actual payment, whether such amount is paid before or after the issuance of order for final assessment.
(5) Where the registered person is entitled to a refund consequent to the order of final assessment under sub-section (3), subject to the provisions of sub-section (8) of section 54, interest shall be paid on such refund as provided in section 56.
In this regard, Rule 98 of Central Goods and Services Tax Rules, 2017 (Chapter XI- Assessment and Audit) reads as under:
- Every registered person requesting for payment of tax on a provisional basis in accordance with the provisions of sub-section (1) of section 60 shall furnish an application in FORM GST ASMT-01,along with the documents in support of his request, electronically through the Common Portal, either directly or through a Facilitation Centre notified by the Commissioner.
- The proper officer may, on receipt of the application under sub-rule (1), issue a notice in FORM GST ASMT-02 requiring the registered person to appear in person or furnish additional information or documents in support of his request and the applicant shall file a reply to the notice in FORM GST ASMT – 03.
- The proper officer shall issue an order in FORM GST ASMT-04, either rejecting the application, stating the grounds for such rejection or allowing payment of tax on provisional basis indicating the value or the rate or both on the basis of which the provisional assessment is to be made and the amount for which the bond is to be executed and security to be furnished not exceeding twenty five per cent of the amount covered under the bond.
- The registered person shall execute a bond in accordance with the provisions of subsection (2) of section 60 in FORM GST ASMT-05 along with a security in the form of a bank guarantee for an amount as determined under sub rule (3):
Provided that a bond furnished to the proper officer under the Central/State Goods and Services Tax Act or Integrated Goods and Services Tax Act shall be deemed to be a bond furnished under the provisions of this Act and the rules made thereunder.
Explanation- For the purposes of this rule, the term “amount” shall include the amount of integrated tax, central tax, State tax or Union territory tax and cess payable in respect of such transaction.
- The proper officer shall issue a notice in FORM GST ASMT-06, calling for information and records required for finalization of assessment under sub-section (3) of section 60 and shall issue a final assessment order, specifying the amount payable by the registered person or the amount refundable, if any, in FORM GST ASMT-07.
- The applicant may file an application in FORM GST ASMT- 08 for release of security furnished under sub-rule (4) after issue of order under sub-rule (5).T
- he proper officer shall release the security furnished under sub-rule (4), after ensuring that the applicant has paid the amount specified in sub-rule (5) and issue an order in FORM GST ASMT–09 within a period of seven working days from the date of receipt of the application under sub-rule (6).